Friday, October 10, 2014

Grave Mercy By Robin LeFevers

Well I so happened to finish this book nearly two days ago but having been SWAMPED with work and school and squeezing in time to read, this review is late.


Sorry...


Anyhoooo!!!! I've been HONORED to receive an ARC for Mortal Heart the third book in this series to be released in November. I literally died when I found out and jumped for joy and screamed and all the usual fangirling I go through when getting a new book :)


So I decided I needed to get reading! And fast!


I liked the convent concept, especially since it was a convent of girls training to be assassins. I mean I'd have really liked it more had we gotten a look into how Ismae the main character came to be the assassin sent on her first mission, however those missing years I suppose are just open to our interpretation and imagination! That's always a good thing though.


I have mixed feelings on this book, I have no idea how to explain it! I didn't really love it but I didn't near hate it. The fact it was in first person was cool as most authors don't tend to use that point of view so it was a change, a welcome change for my reading material.


Ismae I feel like wasn't all that fully fleshed out, I feel like she was missing something. I'd have liked to have gotten more of a deeper insight into her and as a character I didn't feel anything much for her. She didn't seem to be much of an assassin either in my opinion, I think that's what got me! Yeah! I wish Ms. LeFevers had shown off her abilities a lot more, she was more in touch with her poisons skills, but as an assassin I would hope that she knew how to use a proper wielding weapon which of course she had to have known, but how was I supposed to know her skill level if it wasn't fleshed out.


Gavriel Duval....


Eh. I didn't see anything special in him. Sorry. And their romance wasn't anything BOOM and FIREWORK like. It was expected, it was obvious they'd fall in love, but it wasn't anything magical. I wouldn't dare say forced, but it was more like a crush which so happened to be stamped as love.


I don't really enjoy romance things, but I'm sure I would respect and even like it somewhat if it was developed and not forced. Love doesn't take like three days like Romeo and Juliet (that's another story however) so the fact that most authors nowadays get these relationships going in one book need to rethink the extent of the relationship and time period. That's all! :D


I wish so many different things to have happened, it was about 500 so pages, but there wasn't all that much really going on for me. There was the conflict for Ismae between herself and the convent which was bound to happen, the outcome of all that I liked though, but for the most part eh.


The beginning of the book with Ismae joining the convent and introducing the crazy girl, Sybella, left a question mark for that girl's identity and her future and Ms. LeFevers seems to be picking up the second book at the end of the first one with Sybella! So perhaps there in fact will be much more detail on Ismae and especially, which I await eagerly, Sybella!


Would I recommend this?


Errrrrrrrrrrrrr....


Probably not


Firesword3000 (Noob Number 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment